Neuralink, one of the projects of Elon Musk, the founder of Tesla Motors and SpaceX companies, aims to combine the human brain with the computer. NeuraLink aims to develop technological solutions especially for paralyzed patients.
There was a new development in Neuralink, Elon Musk’s project to attach a chip to the human brain. It has been alleged that Musk wanted to plug people into chips this year.
Elon Musk introduced a female pig called Gertrude, which had a coin-sized chip attached to its brain. Thus, Musk explained the progress he made in his work to interface between the brain and the machine.
What is Neuralink?
Musk argues that diseases such as Alzheimer’s, dementia and Parkinson’s can be treated with chips that will be placed inside the human brain. While human experiments are expected to begin in the coming months, it is stated that positive results have been obtained from pig experiments.
Founded by Musk in 2016, the company tries to collect data about the human brain with wireless microcomputer interfaces that can be placed inside the human brain. The main claim of the company and its boss is that the chips that will be placed in the human brain can heal diseases such as Alzheimer’s, dementia and spine damage.
Musk also says that the chips to be placed in the skull are treated for diseases such as memory loss, hearing loss, depression and insomnia.
Speaking at the investor meeting, Neuralink’s chief surgeon, Doctor Matthew MacDougall, states that after starting experiments on humans, their first goal is to treat paralysis and spinal cord paralysis.
Elon Musk said that the necessary permissions will be obtained from the US authorities to experiment on humans by the end of this year.
Speaking with Reuters and not participating in Musk’s presentation, the scientists added that the project was impressive, but a lot of work needs to be done to come to a definitive conclusion.
Making a presentation about the operation of the project, Musk said that the two pigs had already placed chips on it and removed the chip they had placed in a dome. In the experiment carried out in the presentation, it was determined that the brain waves of animals formed in certain situations were recorded by the device and the same movements caused similar brain waves without the device. The radius of the Neuralink chip is 23 millimeters wide. Musk claims the device does not harm human health.
University of Toronto Support for the Neuralink project
Graeme Moffat, an academic working in the field of neurology at the University of Toronto, described Musk’s new project as a big step, emphasizing the small size of the chip, the robustness of the power supply, and the quality of the wireless diameter. capacity.
Stanford University neurologist Sergey Stavisky says the company came in an impressive way. “It’s pretty impressive to switch to a system that’s completely embedded in the brain,” says Stavisky. “This shows that you have a focused team working in different disciplines,” he said.
The San Francisco-based company, where 100 people work, recently received $ 158 million, $ 100 million investment from Elon Musk.
Musk says that this development in neurology technology brings together artificial intelligence and people at a unique point outside the medical side. Musk was known for his attitude to artificial intelligence.
Neurolink is not the only company claiming to cure neurological diseases by monitoring brain waves. There are other competing players in the market called Kernel, Paradromics and NeuroPace. Medtronic, a world-renowned brand in medical devices, is looking for solutions to diseases such as Parkinson’s, tumor and epilepsy by producing brain implants.
History is given in Elon Musk’s project to add a human chip: Neuralink
In the video shared by Neuralink, 9-year-old monkey Pager was able to play video games with the power of his mind thanks to the chip in his brain. Musk claims that this chip could help paralyzed patients in the future.
The billionaire entrepreneur said in a statement in February that they are planning to start manned work by the end of the year.
In response to a user who stated that he had been paralyzed for 20 years, Musk said;
Neuralink works hard to ensure that the implant is safe and is in close contact with the US Food and Drug Administration. If things go well, we can start working on people later this year. ‘
The billionaire entrepreneur has repeatedly claimed that diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s can be cured with this technology.
The goal of the company called Neuralink, launched by Musk in 2016, is to develop very high-bandwidth brain-machine interfaces.
Accordingly, a battery-powered chip will be placed in the skull and it can send electrodes to the brain.
First tried on Neuralink Pigs
Gertrude is one of three pigs featured in the publication published on Friday. Although it took some time to act, when he started sniffing and eating hay, the neurological activity in his brain could be tracked in a graph.
The processor in his brain sent wireless signals to report the neurological activity occurring in his nose while he was looking for food.
“It can be placed perfectly on your skull. You can stay under your hair and you won’t even notice it.”
The monkey attached to the brain chip played the video game: Elon Musk’s Neuralink project
Neuralink, the new startup company (start-up) that developed the brain chip of Elon Musk, the founding businessman of Tesla and Space X companies, shared a video of a monkey playing two different computer games.
With a chip attached to each of the two lobes of his brain, the monkey was seen to play both games successfully and had no difficulty.
In the published 3-minute video, the 9-year-old Pager plays a video game with a joystick and is rewarded with a milk shake with a straw under the computer screen.
The video, which was put online on Friday, reached 3.3 million views in one day. Regarding the images shared by Elon Musk on Twitter, “Thanks to the first product developed by Neuralink, someone who uses the smartphone with his mind will be able to direct it faster than someone who uses it with his hands.” found in the description.
Elon musk brain chip is fantastic
Elon Musk, the founder of Tesla and SpaceX, introduced the special chip that combines the human brain and computer under the roof of Neuralink, which he founded in 2016.
- Since thoughts that do not act can be analyzed, the possibility of transferring these data to third parties may be a situation such as recording every thought.
- Although there is no problem in the tests performed on pigs, there is a possibility of side effects in the operation performed on humans.
- There is a possibility that the connection between the brain and the computer can be made in the opposite direction.
- Thus, remote intervention to the brain, in other words “hacking” of the brain, can take place.
HOW IS THE TRANSACTION DONE?
- The process will be performed by a Neuralink operating robot.
- He will remove a small portion of the scalp and insert the chip.
- Electrodes that are thinner than the hair strand of the chip will be implanted in the brain.
- Finally, the scalp will be sewn in place.
- There will be no need for anesthesia during the operation.
- The installation of the chip will be completed in a short time.
WHAT DOES THIS CHIP DO?
- It will be able to measure many data such as temperature and pressure.
- Tesla can be used to control the autopilot of vehicles.
- In the future, it will be possible for people to play games with brain signals.
- Physically disabled people will be able to wirelessly control smart prostheses with their thoughts.
- In the future, many devices can be controlled with the power of thought.
- It will make life easier for the mentally disabled and Alzheimer’s patients.
- Will be able to solve the problems that may occur in spine injuries.
- Will be able to eliminate the problem of memory loss.
- It will enable visually impaired individuals to explore the real world with the support of augmented and virtual reality technologies.
- The development of artificial intelligence technology will accelerate.